Friday, September 21, 2012

Dance the Night Away

Authors Note: After doing a Word Association I decided to write about my great tine at the "Back to School Dance". In this piece I tried to work on transitions.

"Ding Dong!" I hit the doorbell and patiently waited by door for Riah to answer.  Her mom answered the door and motioned us to come in. As me and Kiley enter to see Riah coming down the stairs Mrs. Fetherston and Mrs. VandeZande talked.  Within the next twenty minutes Brooke, Sydney, an Emilee had all showed up and it was time to hit the road.  We loaded the car and embarked on the five minute journey to the dance.  Once we got there many people were waiting in the lobby until they got let in. We didn't want to wait so we said we had to go to the bathroom and let ourselves in.  A few minutes later kids started piling in by the dozen, but my group was the first to hit the dance floor.

Brooke and I decided to be completely weird the whole dance to creep people out.  Which meant  "dancing" together constantly. Weird was working; we were doing things like rolling around on the floor and dancing with everybody. Dancing weird was fun, but we weren't just dancing weird.  We were doing some good dance moves, and we started to attract a crowd.

People were talking video and pictures of us. Some would just stare like "who do you think you are", and that's what people didn't understand. We weren't doing it to get attention. We were just doing it to have some fun. I'm sorry I didn't want to stand around and gossip and watch the drama progress like most people! And that's what we were all about: having fun. Yeah, I would step out of the cafeteria  occasionally to get  a soda or fix my hair,  but I would return immediately to get my groove on. Brooke and I continued to dance, and we decided to start a train. As we were running around the gym, we heard the DJ start to announce something.

"We are going to have a dance competition," he said, " the first four people to come up will be in it.”  I ran up to the DJ table to guarantee my spot in the dance-off and successfully got the first spot, followed by Sydney, Jackie, and Collin. After the competitors were picked the DJ explained the rules, and it was to to get our jam on. The crowd circled and the music turned on. It was a familiar song but I couldn't put a name to it.

That's when a kid shouted out "They're doing the Hokey Pokey! Which was strangely the first song we had to dance to. While I was shaking all about the music switched and I was called into the middle to my moves. I kicked off my first dance with the shopping cart and ended it with a cool looking back bend. Once I was done Sydney was called in, then Jackie, and last but not least Collin was called in. After round one Jackie was eliminated, and it was time for me to hop in the center again. I did some more awesome moves including the cow girl (which is always a crowd winner) and was again followed up again by Sydney and Collin. By round 3 only Sydney and I were standing. It was time for our last dance,and weird was once again a factor, so I decided to do a jumping kick.

For a moment everybody quieted down and thought, "what is she doing?" Then some brave soul let out a clap and the rest of the crowd followed, everybody was clapping, shouting, and whistling for me. I  just stood amazed that it actually worked. I turned around to realize Sydney was being called into the middle and I stepped out. The crowd became a little quieter, but as Sydney started to dance the crowd roared once again. When Sydney finished the DJ called me back into the circle.

"Make some noise if you want Sydney to win!" he shouted. Most of the 7th graders were clapping, and I started to get worried.

Then the DJ put his hand over my head and shouted, "Make some noise if you want Kendall to win!" Everyone in the crowd was cheering for me, I had in the bag.

"Kendall is our dance champion, " he said while giving mine my prize (which was a box of none working glow-sticks).  As I danced into the cafeteria to get a drink of water I was being congratulated  left and right. After getting a drink I heard the music change to the Cupid Shuffle so I ran in and grabbed my spot on the dance floor. I stood in the front and danced from the beginning to the end of the song and continued to dance through the next song, and the one after that until the clock stroke 7. The DJ announced the dance was over and I was forced to pack up to go. Not only was that the most fun I've ever had at a dance, but it was also a time I realized who some of  my true friends are.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked this piece; you had a lot of voice in it. Your organization was good too, because you weren't jumping around a lot and you didn't take to long explaining the unimportant events. I'm glad someone hates the drama as much as I do. I have no criticism for this piece. Amazing work!

    ReplyDelete